Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Quest

I have a great, I mean, GREAT life.  But, at the tender age of 29,   I’ve come to the realization that although my life is full, it’s not fulfilled.   This realization came after being a crying passenger in a car bound for Helena, my new found home. 

After 6 months of living in Helena, I can honestly say, this is where Jack and I are meant to be.  But, I have to admit, I do get a little homesick at times.  A couple of weeks ago my “modern family” made the familiar trip back home to Helena, after visiting family and friends in Auburn.  I suddenly realized how much I miss my life in Auburn.  Not because my life isn’t great in Helena.  It is.  It’s more than great.  For the first time, I feel like everything is right!  I think because I came to this conclusion, I began to think about me, which is something I haven’t done in quite some time. 

That sounds bad…let me explain.  For so long, I have been a mom, a single mom.  My life has centered around Jack, and I wouldn’t have it any other way!  But, like most moms, not just single moms, I lost myself some in the process.  I worked, cooked, cleaned, read books, wiped boogers (which by the way, is true love, cause boogers make me seriously gag!).  Fast forward several years to when I meet Will, my best friend.  Luckily he looks like Kurt Cobain too.  We fall in love, yada yada, and decide to shack up.  Let me just say, Will and Jack are the best things in this world, so the two of them together, under one roof, with me…couldn’t be a sweeter life.  Because my life is so great, I started wanting more.  It’s kinda like the way Jack views ranch dressing.  It started out as just a dressing, but turned into so much more!  He loves ranch dressing so much, he wants it on pizza, fries, twinkies (gag again).  That’s how I view this revelation.  I love my life so much, I want even more.  I want to be fulfilled completely.  I have a son that is my life and I’ve found my soul mate.  Now, I want the rest of my “wants”. 

Back to the car ride where I started crying, and probably freaked Will out a bit.  I started thinking of how much I missed feeling needed.  Now that Jack’s getting older, and Will helps me SO much, I thought I wasn’t needed as much.  I talked to Will about everything, and how I felt like I didn’t really have a life outside of being mom and super duper, hot, sexy, funny live-in girlfriend.  He made the suggestion that maybe I needed to do more for “me”, do things that fulfilled me. 

Because I’m such a super smart human being, I only surround myself with those like me.  Will started this craze, with the whole, “doing things to fulfill me” thing, and my female best friend Kristin continued the trend of smart ideas.  She told me how she was going to make this list of 29 things to do before she was 30.  What??!!  That’s perfect.  You mean, like traveling around the world?  Yeah, not gonna realistically fit into anyone’s life that has responsibility, right?  More like, shooting a roman candle out of my hand type stuff, is what I’m thinkin.  I’ll have a few things that are a little more exciting, of course, but it’s my list, so I want to do things for me!  Things I’ve never done, and have always wanted to.  Ya know, little things that may mean nothing to some, and big things that may mean the world to others. 

So, here’s the plan.  I have my list of 29 things to finish before my 30th birthday on December 7th, 2011.  I’ve got less than a year to do it, but I am determined to finish.  I’ll share my experiences here, and try to post pictures of me completing a number on my list, starting, failing, or whatever.   I really am excited about doing this, and I think it will be something I’ll remember forever, as cheesy as that sounds.  Wish me luck! 

"The List"
1.   Watch the Kentucky Derby in a big hat and a sundress
2.   Catch, clean, and cook a fish
3.   Eat at a restaurant that has been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives
4.   Have my palm read
5.   Skydive
6.   Stand on the Continental Divide
7.   Wear stilettos to dinner
8.   Cook a French meal
9.   Have a slumber party
10. Drive on a busy interstate for 29 minutes (for those of you who know me, this is the scariest thing on the list)
11.  Do a split
12.  Learn to play golf
13.  Eat cavier
14.  Learn to drive a stick shift
15.  Crochet a scarf
16.  Read 11 Pulitzer Prize winning books
17.  Start a blog (Boo Yah...done!)
18.  Eat 29 different types of sushi
19.  Learn to Rhumba
20.  Get Bobby Flay's autograph
21.  Change someone's life
22.  Go "all in" on a bet
23.  Host a dinner party
24.  Watch a sunrise
25.  Learn to use a pogo stick
26.  Learn all the words and karaoke to Spacehog's "In the Meantime"
27.  Snow ski
28.  Fire a pistol
29.  Play keno with my dad

8 comments:

  1. Love this! Maybe our lists will intertwine at some point during the year. Be sure to share on Facebook everytime you blog so I won't miss a beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like 2011 will be filled with excitement! Any time you need a partner in crime, count me in!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Can I come to the slumber party?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list! This is so fun and I'm very proud of you. You are off to a wonderful start. I'm looking forward to following along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is awesome! Made me tear up reading about your drive home. I used to feel the same way when I lived in Birmingham, although I now miss it there. Good luck on your list and keep us posted along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to come to the slumber party too!! :) And I think you have already accomplished #21. You may never know all of the lives you changed, but I promise you it's more than you can count!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Enjoy your blog; it's a great outlet! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can definitely count me in for most of these! And I'm pretty positive you'll accomplish every single one! Like Alison said...some you already have and didn't even realize it! :) Love you Jenn!

    ReplyDelete